PIREP Forum Index
PIREP - OPINIONS ON AVIATION BY PILOTS.

Who invented Business Class?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaptin M
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Who invented Business Class? Reply with quote Back to top

I was told it was SAS - Scandanavian Airlines.

Keg
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I think QANTAS is credited with it's creation. It was when we were actually innovative!

Plane Talk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here is Wikipedia's take on who invented Business Class.

In 1977, El Al announced plans to reconfigure its aircraft with a small first class cabin and larger business class cabin on the assumption that most transatlantic first-class passengers would shift their business to the Concorde.

British Airways introduced "Club Class," a separate premium cabin with numerous amenities, in October 1978 under CEO Colin Marshall as a means of further distinguishing full-fare business travelers from tourists flying on discounted fares.
Pan Am announced that it would introduce "Clipper Class" in July 1978, and both Air France and Pan Am introduced business class in November 1978.

QANTAS claims to have launched the world's first Business Class in 1979.

Exaviator2
PIREP Master Blaster
PIREP Master Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just which airline was responsible for the introduction of a premium class, or other than first class is to me immaterial, except I am glad that they did.

Business on QF, Euro on SAS or Premium on BA is just a matter of semantics. They all came to realize about the same time that there was a market to be tapped which had been lost with the introduction of the B-747 and the era of mass travel.

No matter what the name “J’’ Class offers the level of travel that one used to enjoy in “Tourist” before the Jumbo came along.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s I made several trips from Sydney flying “Tourist” to Vancouver to ski at Whistler aboard Canadian Pacific’s DC-8, and a few trips to Europe aboard Pan American’s B-707. In terms of seating, catering and in flight service Tourist, or Economy travel was at a standard that is found in Business Class today.

In relative terms “J” Class is even better value today than it was then and if it means not having to share my seat space with some obese individual whom should have purchased three seats, or some modern day Neanderthal attired in a sleeveless T shirt who thinks it just fine to share his B.O. with the rest of the passengers, it will do me… Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> AVGAS & PIREPS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: