PIREP Forum Index
PIREP - OPINIONS ON AVIATION BY PILOTS.

Cockpit crash ax - is it practical in today's airplanes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the crash ax stay, or go?
Stay
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
Go
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

The Hammer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Cockpit crash ax - is it practical in today's airplanes? Reply with quote Back to top

Is the cockpit crash ax really practical in the airplane of today?
Most airline transport category airplanes have cockpit windows able to be opened by the pilots, but have glass windows so small, and several laminated layers thick, that the crash ax could never hack an opening large enough to allow a pilot to escape in any case.

The lethal cockpit crash ax
But best of all, what I would like to do is take one of these in my carry-on, through security.
"I'm sorry sir, you cannot carry this, or those toe nail cutters past this point."
"If this ax don't go onboard my airplane, then the flight will stay on the ground."

In reality though, this crash ax was designed to chop through a jammed cockpit door of the old honeycomb design.
Today's door to the flight deck is bomb blast and bullet proof, so the crash ax would not even make an impression.

Possibly the best way out is now through the roof!

Chimbu chuckles
PIREP Master Blaster
PIREP Master Blaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Its also there to pry open panels to get extinguisher in behind in the case of hard to get at electrical fires - its primary purpose is NOT escape from the cockpit nor defending the cockpit.

TCAS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"its primary purpose is NOT escape from the cockpit "
Why is it called a CRASH axe if that is true?
Prying open electrical panels is probably going to make a lot more problems than if you just pulled circuit breakers I think.
Can you give me a reference where you read this information?

Keg
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The use of the crash axe isn't restricted to the flight deck. Using it to pry panels open to get to a fire behind it (rather than hacking into the panels) appears as a primary use of the device in the QANTAS Aircrew Emergency Procedures manual.

If I've got smoke coming from behind panels off the flight deck then I want the cabin crew prying that panel away so they can get an extinguisher onto whatever is burning.

Keep the crash axe.

Chimbu chuckles
PIREP Master Blaster
PIREP Master Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wot Keg said.

There is more than 1 'crash' axe on most large aircraft and the second one is not on the flight deck...but I aint telling you where it is Very Happy

J430
PIREP Master Blaster
PIREP Master Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In my Carry on........ Laughing

Wingnprayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know where it is, and it is surprisingly accessible by non crew persons.
But why bother with a crash axe when an oxygen bottle and a cigarette lighter make a handy blow torch and bashing weapon.

Yes it is true if there is a well developed conflagration in a confined area such as a wash room, the crash axe is the best way to make a hole through which the contents of a fire extinguisher can be emptied.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> AVGAS & PIREPS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: