PIREP Forum Index
PIREP - OPINIONS ON AVIATION BY PILOTS.

Flight Control Issues ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> TECH TALK - EXPERIENCE is a good teacher.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bafanguy
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Flight Control Issues ? Reply with quote Back to top

Have you seen the two videos in this article ? Pretty entertaining...watch them both start to finish.

What's your take on what happened ? I don't know anyone who knows anything about a TU-154.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/05/01/356137/video-tu-154-struggles-against-in-flight-oscillation.html

Exaviator2
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly a wild ride barfanguy.

Like you I know next to nothing about the TU-154 but the oscillations look like an exaggerated form of "Dutch Roll" so my guess would be un-commanded and excessive rudder inputs.

Either that, or too much vodka with lunch...........

bafanguy
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder what the yaw damper arrangement is on that airplane. Think

SID
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Terrifying footage shows jet lurching out of control. Reply with quote Back to top

This is the headline and here is the story.

Terrifying footage shows jet lurching out of control

Videos posted on YouTube by witnesses show a plane lurching wildly out of control in the skies close to Moscow.

The Tupolev plane, used by defence forces, is seen twisting from side to side uncontrollably before pilots manage to land it safely at a military aerodrome outside Moscow.

Luckily no passengers were onboard at the time, and Russian military prosecutors have launched an investigation into the incident

The military prosecutors have launched a probe which should establish the reasons for the mid-air incident that almost led to an aviation disaster,'' a spokesman for the chief military prosecutor's office told the RIA Novosti news agency.

The Tu-154 plane, dating back to the 1960s, was dubbed the "dancing plane'' by bloggers.

The spokesman for the chief military prosecutor's office told RIA Novosti that the plane's steering system had malfunctioned and praised the pilots for managing to land safely in a built-up area.

"During a test flight, the steering system broke down on the TU-154B-2 plane belonging to the Defence Ministry's 800th air base,'' the spokesman said.

"Thanks to the great professionalism and supreme skill of the pilots, the crew managed to land on the second attempt at Chkalovsk aerodrome, avoiding casualties among the airforce and the local population.''

The video posted on April 30, which has been watched more than 380,000 times, says that the plane was being flown for the first time after a 10-year break.

The ageing Tupolev 154 planes, first flown in 1968 and used by Aeroflot until 2009, have been involved in a number of air accidents in recent years.

The aircraft's last major fatal crash was on April last year, when a Tu-154 carrying Polish president Lech Kaczynski and other top officials came down in fog near the Russian city of Smolensk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOmzjUHVy8&feature=player_embedded

Story here

Hmm. I think the pilots are demonstrating how well the controls work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> TECH TALK - EXPERIENCE is a good teacher. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: