PIREP Forum Index
PIREP - OPINIONS ON AVIATION BY PILOTS.

JCAB Licence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> ASIA - Flying in Japan, China, S.E. Asia & India
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndegedriver

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: JCAB Licence Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone have a link to the Japanese CAA/DCA JCAB website?

I am trying to work out what the study syllabus is for a Japanese ATPL.

I am tracking down a number of B737 jobs in Japan, they all appear to be broadly similar in terms of job demands, and renumeration package. Does anyone have any advice as to which one is better than any other, likewise which agency might be better than any other?

Would also appreciate any information on the whole conversion process. Most agencies are quoting 6 months to final line check which seems just a little on the long side.

nzleardriver
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.mlit.go.jp/koku/koku.html

The six months is accurate, the agencies can give you more info on that than I can.

iNCApacitated
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Six months sounds about right. Actually, training used to up to 1 year. Things have drastically changed so consider that short.

As the the best agent, ask for the terms and conditions (they should a rough draft) and decide which one or take the one that offers you the job first !!

Good luck !! Dancing

ndegedriver

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replys.

Is it just me being particularly thick or is there no Flight Crew Licensing section on that URL that you sent me nzleardriver?

Regarding the agencies: I have got the same deal from a couple of agencies for the same job basically, so I am inclined to go with the agency that has a better reputation for looking after it's pilots, it's just that I don't know who the better agencies are! Any input on that one would be most welcome.

Cheers

Kaptin M
Poster Extraordinaire
Poster Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My sole experience has been with PARC Aviation, who have a reputation of paying on time each month, and of supporting their contract pilots when they have had medical problems.
This is NOT always the case with other agencies, I have been told by other contract pilots.
Some agencies tend to skim more (reputedly a LOT more, in the case of one New Zealand contractor), leaving pilots on those contracts receiving considerably less than pilots working with other agencies.
Contractual issues have been somewhat less solidly supported, and issues such as overnight accommodation standard, and transport are almost always left up to the pilots themselves to deal with.

Try to compare the overall package - total remuneration,payment of tax, living accommodation, per diems, medical insurance, licence insurance, and reliability of on-time payment.
Don't expect too much (if any) support from the contracting agents when the client airline (the one who pays the contractor) flaunts the contract.
It isn't in their interest!

As for the syllabus for the JCAB licence, the employing airline will provide you with that.Basically, it's Japanese Air Law, and the subjects required for the issue of the JCAB Radio Licence - aren't they just fun!
In addition to the those, you will be required to do the full 737 ground school again, regardless of experience on type, followed by fixed base and full flight sims prior to your initial JCAB sim check for the issue of your Japanese ATPL - this is a full ATPL, not a validation of an existing licence, as is usually the case for other foreign contract pilots working away from home.
From the start of ground school, to the first JCAB sim check, allow about 5 months. This has slowly been whittled down from the original 7-9 months.

Once you are issued with a JCAB licence, you will then have line training, followed by another JCAB check (in the case of our group 7 years ago, there were 3 line checks by JCAB!) for final approval to operate as a crewmember.
Post flight, the oral quiz will run for a minimum of 1 hour.

Annually, you can expect JCAB to be on the jumpseat of your flights around 6 times - some are checks of the operating crew, others are checks of engineering, or the whole system.
The JCAB are omnipresent in the day-to-day operations of ALL Japanese airlines.

Hope that helps a little.

nzleardriver
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.mlit.go.jp/kokkasiken/pilot01_.html

There is no information in english. Basically if you can't read Japanese, they assume that you will be going through an agency who will supply you with all of the information you need.

ndegedriver

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kaptin M many thanks for that comprehensive reply. I am definitely leaning towards PARC and so far I have been very impressed with another Pacific agency that shares it's name with the island(s) its based on.

They both have the same contract on their books so it is almost flip of the coin type stuff.

Thank you also for the information on the licence conversion, it seems a little long and drawn out but it's their train set I guess.

nzleardriver I'm afraid I don't speak or read any Japanese, perhaps I'll cut and paste it into Babelfish and see what happens! Thanks anyway.

jchunt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: JCAB-ATPL QUESTIONS/REVIEW GUIDE Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone have the review guide for the JCAB-ATPL or sample exams for the Air Law, Signals etc.

Cheers

J.C. Hunt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PIREP Forum Index -> ASIA - Flying in Japan, China, S.E. Asia & India All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: